Building with Nature in Mind
Building with nature in mind is one of our principles, but also a project which will be realized in the next several months within permaculture program in Bozevce.
The project includes several activities, which are aiming at:
- documenting the existing traditional knowledge on natural building in Municipalities of Kamenicë/Kamenica and Ranillug/Ranilug,
- providing educational opportunities about natural building, insulation and energy efficiency
- sharing information about great potential of natural building, local materials and smart planning
The planned activities include:
- workshop on natural building and insulation from 16th until 22nd of September, Boževce/Bozhevcë village
- workshop on building a rocket mass heater also known as rocket stove and energy efficiency from 21st until 26th of October, Boževce/Bozhevcë village
- presentations at the Climate Action Day on 6th and 7th of December in Prishtinë/Priština
Within the project we will also produce broshures which will be available in Albanian, Serbian and English, so that as many people can learn about the benefits of natural building.
What is wrong with conventional building?
A lot is wrong with it…
- materials which are used in conventional building are often toxic, their production and transport contributes to climate change, pollution of air, water and soil
- there is often lots of waste left which is not reusable or recyclable
- many houses and buildings lack energy efficiency and insulation, thus consumption of electricity and other energy is high, which again contributes to climate change and pollution
- there is no fun with conventional building! you cannot play with concrete, and make funny faces…
What is great about natural building?
A lot is great about it…
- you can put mud on your face and play with it 🙂
- using local materials, you support local economy and local community
- materials are non-toxic, local, renewable and their leftovers or waste are reusable or decomposable
- contribution to climate change is minimal, since most of the materials will come from nearby places and their production does not emit green house gasses
- the work is inclusive and empowering since everyone can be involved in some parts of it
- houses made of, for instance, straw bales are energy very efficient and if planned smartly, it can reduced your costs for energy to the minimum
In Boževce/Bozhevcë village GAIA has been experimenting with permaculture and natural building since last two years. It is envisioned that this place becomes a source of education and inspiration for anyone who is interested in nature friendly practices, sustainable, simple and regenerative living, permaculture and natural building. With this project we are initiating educational activities which will hopefully inspire young and elders to learn about natural building and to choose options which will make no harm to nature nor people.
Supported by: Implemented by: